Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

the fourth, food, fun and fireworks!

So, this post is WAY late! But, since the 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays, I had to do a post on it! I love patriotism and I am so proud to be an American! This year it was so much fun having a little one to dress in red, white and blue! Here is a picture of little miss, in her stars and stripes, with my two beautiful sisters! :)


Celebrating the 4th this year was a little different than years past. My parents were in Houston, TX spending some quality time with my mom's brother and sister. So, they weren't around for all of our fun and festivities, but they had tons of fun in the Lone Star State.

Each year our church puts on a huge outreach
called Celebrate Freedom. It is held at MGM High school, the weekend of July 4th. We have a car show, arts and crafts, silent auction, blow ups for the kids to jump, a petting zoo and of course FOOD! Right before dark all of the activities close down and everyone moves into the stands on the football field. We usually honor local veterans and the coast guard does a fly over. This year we had a skydiver that landed right in front of the stage! His parachute was red, white and blue and had USA in huge letters that everyone could see as he floated down. He also had an American flag waving behind him along with red smoke! It was so neat!

We couldn't believe that he could navigate well enough to land directly in front of us! The last event is a concert and then a fabulous fireworks show. Jimmy Needham and Dorothy Savage where in concert this year and both did a great job. The fireworks are always a hit and so impressive. They are shot off right on the other side of the field, so during the show you literally feel like they are going to fall on you! So fun!! :)



This year Jeremy and I didn't volunteer like we have the last few years, because of my parents being out of town. Jeremy didn't need to leave work since my dad wasn't there and I wouldn't be much help volunteering with a 9 month old attached to my hip. So, we just enjoyed the event and look forward to helping out again next year! Ella Claire fell asleep during the concert and woke up right before the fireworks. She wasn't so sure what to think about them, but wasn't scared of the loud noise.



Saturday was nice and relaxing and I enjoyed every second of Jeremy's off time! (maybe more than he did!!) We had breakfast at Cracker Barrel and later picked out a grill for Jeremy. The grill was part of his father's day gift, but we hadn't had a chance to go pick it up until then. Saturday night we had Kim, Justin, Madelaine, Steph, Brian and Jess over and we grilled out. For the last few years, I have tried to make some sort of patriotic dessert. Last year I made star shaped cakes with a white glaze topped with strawberries and blueberries.


This year I made lemon cream cheese puff pastries and I cut the pastries in the shape of stars. They were so good! But, how could anything with cream cheese and a puff pastry not be good?!?

Stay tuned, I'm planning on doing a post on this recipe soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...